Reproductive Pathology Cases
About the cases:
These cases were developed for the Reproductive Organ System Course by Dr. Juliana Szakacs in the Department of Pathology at the University of Utah. The use of Olympus and RadWeb at the University Hospital is restricted to physicians and care givers with passwords. Please respect the privacy and confidentiality of patients at all times following HIPAA guidelines. The cases published on this web-site contain no personal identifiers.
How to use the cases for study:
1. Review the gross materials at your lab station during the first lab period, and be ready to discuss the powerpoint on the main pathology website.
2. In the second lab, your group will prepare a presentation similar to those that you have done in the past. Answer the questions at the end of your case briefly in your presentation, and hand in the answers to the questions as in the prior labs. This means a summary of the chief complaint, clinical history, review of labs, X-rays and other tests, and an academic discussion of the disease entity with references in the current literature. Please stay within the time limit of 10 minutes for presentation of the case.
3. BE SURE TO MAKE YOUR PRESENTATION FREE OF ALL IDENTIFIERS.
Goals and Objectives:
Following the participation in lab sessions one and two the student will be able to:
1. Use Olympus , E-chart and RadWeb to gather data on patients
2. Use the library electronic reference system to research data on diseases, therapies and drugs
3. Have a good understanding of the pathophysiology, course, outcome and treatment of the following disorders:
A. Clear cell carcinoma of the ovary
B. Borderline tumor of the ovary
C. Krukenberg tumor
D. Serous and mucinous papillary cystadenocarcinomas
E. Amniotic fluid embolization in the peripartum period
F. Infiltrating ductal carcinoma of the breast
G. Infiltrating lobular carcinoma of the breast
4. Compile data on a patient and present it as we have done in prior labs.