Katherine B. Geiersbach, M.D.
Assistant Professor, Department of Pathology, University of Utah, School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, UT
- Medical Director, ARUP Laboratories, Cytogenetics, Molecular Cytogenetics, and Molecular Oncology
About Katherine B. Geiersbach, M.D.
Dr. Katherine Geiersbach is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Pathology. She received her MD from the University of Colorado School of Medicine where she also completed her AP/CP residency training in pathology and a fellowship in Cytogenetics. She completed her fellowship in Molecular Genetic Pathology in the Department of Pathology in 2009. She is a Medical Director in Cytogenetics, Molecular Cytogenetics, and Molecular Oncology at ARUP Laboratories.
Dr. Geiersbach is a member of the Association for Molecular Pathology and is on the AMP Website Editorial Board. She has also served as a consulting research pathologist for Myriad Genetics, Inc.
Dr. Geiersbach's research interests include DNA-based genotyping of molar pregnancy, cytogenetic abnormalities in spontaneous pregnancy loss, and genetic abnormalities in cancer.
- Furtado LV, Paxton CN, Jama MA, Tripp SR, Wilson AR, Lyon E, Jarboe EA, Thaker HM, Geiersbach KB (2013). Diagnostic utility of microsatellite genotyping for molar pregnancy testing. Archives of Pathology & Laboratory Medicine, 137(1), 55-63.
- Paxton CN, Brothman AR, Geiersbach KB (2013). Rapid aneusomy detection in products of conception using the KaryoLite BACs-on-Beads assay. Prenatal Diagnosis, 33(1), 25-31.
- Furtado LV, Jama MA, Paxton CN, Wilson AR, Gardiner AE, Lyon E, Geiersbach KB (04/01/2013). Aneuploidy Detection in Paraffin Embedded Tissue from Products of Conception by Mini-STR Genotyping. Fetal and Pediatric Pathology, 32(2), 133-150.
- Wilkerson MD, Schallheim JM, Hayes DN, Roberts PJ, Bastien RR, Mullins M, Yin X, Miller CR, Thorne LB, Geiersbach KB, Muldrew KL, Funkhouser WK, Fan C, Hayward MC, Bayer S, Perou CM, Bernard PS (2013). Prediction of lung cancer histological types by RT-qPCR gene expression in FFPE specimens. The Journal of Molecular Diagnostics: JMD, 15(4), 485-97.
- Adey N, Emery D, Bosh D, Callahan S, Schreiner J, Chen Y, Greig A, Geiersbach K, Parry R (11/05/2013). A mill based instrument and software system for dissecting slide-mounted tissue that provides digital guidance and documentation. BMC Clinical Pathology, 13(1), 29.
- Jarboe EA, Hirschowitz SL, Geiersbach KB, Wallander ML, Tripp SR, Layfield LJ (2014). Juvenile granulosa cell tumors: immunoreactivity for CD99 and Fli-1 and EWSR1 translocation status: a study of 11 cases. International Journal of Gynecological Pathology, 33(1), 11-5.
- Geiersbach KB, Gardiner AE, Wilson A, Shetty S, Bruyere H, Zabawski J, Saxe DF, Gaulin R, Williamson C, Van Dyke DL (02/01/2014). Subjectivity in chromosome band-level estimation: a multicenter study. Genetics In Medicine, 16(2), 170-175.
- All Publications: Click Here
Honors and Awards
- 2003 Third Place, Resident Abstract Finalist Competition, CAP ’03 (Annual Meeting), College of American Pathologists, San Diego, California
- 2001 Sara D. Winter, M.D. Award, Department of Pathology, University of Colorado School of Medicine, Denver, Colorado
- 2001 Adler Scholar Award, Office of the Dean, University of Colorado, School of Medicine, Denver, Colorado
- 1997 - 2001 Doctor of Medicine, University of Colorado School of Medicine, Denver, Colorado
- 1994 - 1997 Premedical Coursework, University of Colorado at Colorado Springs, Colorado Springs, CO
- 1989 - 1994 BA, Princeton University