Evelyn V. Gopez, M.D.
Professor of Pathology
Evelyn V. Gopez, M.D.
- Associate Vice President for Inclusion, Health Sciences
- Associate Dean, Office of Inclusion and Outreach, School of Medicine, University of Utah
- Medical Director, School of Cytotechnology, University of Utah
- Medical Director, Cytology Laboratory, ARUP Laboratories, Inc.
About Evelyn V. Gopez, M.D.
Dr. Gopez did a fellowship both in cytopathology and surgical pathology at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia, PA. She staffs radiology guided FNA's, but gets more fulfillment in performing the FNA procedure herself. She teaches basic pathology to medical students and cytopathology and FNA to Pathology residents and Cytopathology fellows. She also teaches cytotechnology students. When she is at ARUP, she oversees the cytology practice and troubleshoots issues that come up during the day. She signs out gyn and non-gyn cytology, Ufish and FNA's. She is actively involved in the Cytotechnology program and conducts review sessions with the students in preparation for their registry board examinations. She also conducts continuing education sessions for the cytotechnologists at ARUP. After accepting the role as residency program director, Dr. Gopez has initiated major changes in the Pathology Residency Program that has led to better teaching and training and increased resources to support resident education and research. Dr. Gopez is also actively involved in the School of Medicine Mentorship Program, where she mentors medical students both in their academics and also in preparing themselves for residency. She is an advocate for residents and medical students.
As Assistant Dean of Inclusion and Outreach, Dr. Gopez is proud to lead the University's effort to support the success and achievement of medical students, faculty and staff regardless of race, religion, culture, gender and sexual preference. She also oversees the School of Medicine's several outreach programs to the community.
- Layfield LJ, Gopez EV. Percutaneous image-guided fine-needle aspiration of peritoneal lesions. Diagn Cytopathol. 2003 Jan;28(1):6-12
- Shen Y, Blumenthal DT, Digre K, Cessna MH, Gopez EV. Carcinomatous meningitis as the presenting manifestation of gallbladder carcinoma: case report and review of the literature. J Neurooncol. 2004 Oct;70(1):67-71
- Layfield LJ, Gopez E, Hirschowitz S. Cost efficiency analysis for fine-needle aspiration in the workup of parotid and submandibular gland nodules. Diagn Cytopathol. 2006 Nov;34(11):734-8
- Rowe LR, Mulvihill SJ, Emerson L, Gopez EV. Subcutaneous tumor seeding following needle core biopsy of hepatocellular carcinoma. Diagn Cytopathol. 2007 Nov;35(11):717-21
- All Publications: Click Here
- 1995-1996, Surgical Pathology Fellow, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- 1994-1995, Cytopathology Fellow, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- 1993-1994, Chief Resident in Anatomic and Clinical Pathology, Berkshire Medical Center, Pittsfield, Massachusetts
- 1990-1993, Resident in Anatomic and Clinical Pathology, Berkshire Medical Center, Pittsfield, Massachusetts
- 1989-1990, Intern in Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts
- 1980-1982, Resident in Anatomic Pathology, University of Santo Tomas, Philippines
- 1979, M.D. University of Santo Tomas, Philippines
- 1975, B.S. in Pre-Med, University of Santo Tomas, Philippines