Lyska L. Emerson, M.D.
Lyska L. Emerson, M.D.
- Medical Director, Huntsman Cancer Hospital Pathology Gross Dissection Laboratory
About Lyska L. Emerson, M.D.
She is a surgical pathologist who serves the pathology needs of the University Hospital, the Huntsman Cancer Hospital, and ARUP Laboratories. Dr. Emerson's subspecialty interests are in pulmonary and gastrointestinal pathology although she also practices general surgical pathology. She currently collaborates on several translational research projects with colleagues at the University Hospital and Huntsman Cancer Institute.
Dr. Emerson supports the Huntsman Cancer Hospital specialty tumor boards. These specialty conferences involve a multidisciplinary team approach which includes surgeons, oncologists, radiologists, radiation oncologists and pathologists. Dr. Emerson is currently the pathologist for the Thoracic Multidisciplinary Group.
Dr. Emerson is involved in the pathology residency training program the rotation director of the Surgical Pathology resident rotation at the Huntsman Cancer Hospital. Teaching and mentoring both residents and medical students is a significant component of Dr. Emerson's teaching commitment.
Dr. Emerson received her baccalaureate degree from Baylor University in Waco, Texas. She received her medical degree from the University of Texas-Houston Health Sciences Center and then went on to train in combined anatomic and clinical pathology residency programs at the University of New Mexico in Albuquerque, NM and the University of Texas-Houston Health Sciences Center in Houston, Texas. Prior to joining the faculty at the University of Utah, she completed a fellowship in surgical pathology at the University of Utah Health Sciences Center in Salt Lake City, Utah.
- Peterson KA, Thomas KL, Hilden K, Emerson LL, Wills JC, Fang JC. (2009). Comparison of Esomeprazole to Aerosolized, Swallowed Fluticasone for Eosinophilic Esophagitis. Dig Dis Sci. (Epub ahead of print).
- Goldfarb-Rumyantzev AS, Shihab F, Emerson L, Mineau G, Schaefer C, Tang H, Hunter C, Naiman N, Smith L, Kerber R. (2009). A population-based assessment of the familial component of acute kidney allograft rejection. Nephrol Dial Transplant, 24(8), 2575-83.
- Feng Y, Emerson L, Jeong EK, Parker DL, Lu ZR. (2009). Application of a biodegradable macromolecular contrast agent in dynamic contrast-enhanced MRI for assessing the efficacy of indocyanine green-enhanced photothermal cancer therapy. J Magn Reson Imaging, 30(2), 401-6.
- Wu X, Feng Y, Jeong EK, Emerson L, Lu ZR. (2009). Tumor characterization with dynamic contrast enhanced magnetic resonance imaging and biodegradable macromolecular contrast agents in mice. Pharm Res, 26(9), 2202-8.
- Wallander M, Layfield LJ, Jarboe E, Emerson L, Liu T, Thaker H, Holden J, Tripp S. (2009). Follicular Variant of Papillary Carcinoma: Reproducibility of Histologic Diagnosis and Utility of HBME-1 Immunohistochemistry and BRAF Mutational Analysis as Diagnostic Adjuncts. Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol. (Epub ahead of print).
- Wu X, Jeong E.K., Emerson L, Hoffman J, Parker D.L., Lu Z.R. (2010). Noninvasive evaluation of antiangiogenic effect in a mouse tumor model by DCE-MRI with Gd-DTPA cystamine copolymers. Mol Pharm, 7(1), 41-8.
- Scaife CL, Shea J, Emerson L, Boucher K, Firpo MA, Beckerle MC, Mulvihill SJ. (2010). Prognostic significance of PINCH signalling in human pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma. HPB (Oxford), 12(5), 352-8.
- Poruk KE, Firpo MA, Huerter LM, Scaife CL, Emerson LL, Boucher KM, Jones KA, Mulvihill SJ. (2010). Serum platelet factor 4 is an independent predictor of survival and venous thromboembolism in patients with pancreatic adenocarcinoma. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 19(10), 2605-10.
- Wallander ML, Layfield LJ, Emerson LL, Mamalis N, Davis D, Tripp SR, Holden JA. (2011). KIT mutations in ocular melanoma: frequency and anatomic distribution. Mod Pathol. (Epub ahead of print).
- Emerson LL, Layfield LJ. (2012). Solitary Peripheral Pulmonary Papilloma Evaluation on Frozen Section: A Potential Pitfall for the Pathologist. Pathol Res Pract, 208(2012), 726-729.
- All Publications: Click Here
- 2000-2001, Surgical Pathology Fellowship, University of Utah Health Sciences Center, Salt Lake City, Utah
- 1997-2000, Anatomic and Clinical Pathology Residency, University of Texas-Houston Health Sciences Center, Houston, Texas
- 1995-1997, Anatomic and Clinical Pathology Residency, University of New Mexico Health Sciences Center, Albuquerque, New Mexico
- 1995, M.D. University of Texas-Houston-Health Sciences Center, Houston, Texas
- 1990, B.S. in Biology, Baylor University, Waco, Texas