Xinjian Chen, M.D., Ph.D.
Associate Professor (tenured)
About Xinjian Chen, M.D., Ph.D.
Dr. Chen is an associate professor of pathology at the University of Utah School of Medicine. He received his MD from Hunan Medical College in Changsha, China and completed residency training in pathology at Emory University School of Medicine. Dr. Chen also completed a fellowship in dermatology at Stanford University Medical Center as well as a fellowship in pathology at Emory University School of Medicine.
- Solvason N, Chen X, Shu F, Kearney JF. The fetal momentum in mice and humans: A site enriched for precursors of CD5 B cells early in development. Ann N Y Acad Sci 1992;651:10-20.
- Chen X, Matsura Y, Kearney JF. CD5 Transgenic mice. Current Topics in Microbiology and Immunology 1994;194:209-217.
- Chen X, Kearney JF. Generation and function of natural self-reactive B lymphocytes. Sem Immunol 1996;8:19-27.
- Chen X, Martin F, Forbush KA, Perlmutter RM, Kearney JF. Evidence for selection of a population of self-reactive B cells into the splenic marginal zone. Internal Immunol 1997;9:27-41.
- Martin F, Chen X, Kearney JF. Development of VH81X transgene bearing B cells in fetus and adult: sites for expansion and deletion in conventional and CD5/B1 lineage cells. Internal Immunol 1998;9:493-505.
- Jensen PE, Weber DA, Thayer WP, Chen X, Dao CT. HLA-DM and the MHC class II antigen presentation pathway. Immunol Res. 1999; 20: 195-205.
- Robbins PB, Lin Q, Goodnough JB, Tian H, Chen X, Khavari PA. In vivo restoration of laminin 5 beta 3 expression and function in junctional epidermolysis bullosa. Proc Nat Acad Sci. 2001;24:98:5193-8.
- Nagarajan UM, Chen X, Beresford GW, Nilsen R, Jensen PE, Boss JM. Class II transactivator is required for maximal expression of HLA-DOB in B cells. J Immunol 2002;168:1780-6.
- Chen X, Laur O, Kambayashi T, Li S, Bray RA, Weber DA, Karlsson L, Jensen PE. Regulated expression of human histocompatibility leukocyte antigen (HLA)-DO during antigen-dependent and antigen-independent phases of B cell development. J Exp Med 2002;195:1053.
- Chen X, Jensen PE, Li S. A useful marker to distinguish florid follicular hyperplasia from follicular lymphoma by flow cytometry. Am J Clin Pathol 2003;119:842-51.
- Chen X (correspondence author), Jensen PE. The Expression of HLA-DO (H2-O) in B Lymphocytes. Immunol Res 2004;29:19-28.
- Chen X (correspondence author), Reed-Loisel LM, Karlsson L, Jensen PE. H2-O expression in primary dendritic cells. J Immunol 2006; 176: 3548-56.
- Chen X(correspondence author), Jensen PE, Cutting edge: primary B lymphocytes preferentially expand allogeneic FoxP3+ CD4 T cells. J Immunol. 2007;179:2046-50.
- Chen X, Jensen PE The role of B lymphocytes as antigen-presenting cells. Arch Immunol Ther Exp (Warsz). 2008, 56:77-83
- Chen X (correspondence author), Jensen PE, MHC class II antigen presentation and immunological abnormalities due to deficiency of MHC class II and its associated genes. Exp. Mol. Pathol. 2008, 85:40-4
- Chen LC, Deldado J, Jensen PE, Chen X Direct expansion of human allospecific FoxP3+CD4+ regulatory T cells with allogeneic B cells for therapeutic application. J Immunol. 2009, 183:4094-4102.
- Chen, X, B Lymphocytes, potent Antigen presenting cells for preferential expansion of allo-reactive FoxP3+ CD4 Regulatory T Cells. Recent Patents on Endocrine, Metabolic & Immune Drug Discovery. 2010, 4: 100-110.
- L Chen • X Chen, Haesun Choi, Hongxun Sang • et. al Exploiting antitumor immunity to overcome relapse and improve remission duration. Cancer Immunol. Immunother. 2011, 61:1113-1124.
- Li Q, Shakya A, Guo X, Zhang H, Tantin D, Jensen PE, Chen X. Constitutive nuclear localization of NFAT in Foxp3+ regulatory T cells independent of calcineurin activity. J Immunol. 2012;188:4268-77.
- Anker, CJ, A. Ribas, AH Grossmann, X Chen, Grossmann KF Severe liver and skin toxicity following radiation and vemurafenib in metastatic melanoma. J. Clin. Oncol. 2013, 31(17):e283-7.
- Huffaker, TB, R Hu, MC Runtsch, E Bake, X Chen, J Zhao, JL Round, D Baltimore, and RM O’Connell. Epistasis between microRNAs 155 and 146a during T cell-mediated antitumor immunity, Cell Rep. 2012, 2:1697-709
- Gu Y, P. Jensen and X Chen. Immunodeficiency and autoimmunity in H2-O deficient mice. J Immunol. 2013, 1;190:126-37
- Wang, Y, X Chen, S Tsai, A Thomas, JA Shizuru, and TM Cao. Fine mapping of the Bmgr5 quantitative trait locus for allogeneic bone marrow engraftment in non-myeloablated mice. Immunogenetics. 2013, 65:585-96
- Chen, X, Y Wang, S Tsai, A Thomas, JA Shizuru, and TM Cao. Pathways analysis of differential gene expression induced by engrafting doses of total body irradiation for allogeneic bone marrow transplantation in mice. Immunogenetics. 2013,65:597-607
- Chen, X, BK Dalley, Y Wang, S Tsai, CH Leukel, A Thomas, JA Shizuru, and TM Cao. A non-coding genetic risk variant regulates lethal graft-versus-host disease in mice. Proc Nat Acad Sci. (PNAS) Under minor revision.
- All Publications: Click Here
Honors and Awards
- 1983 First Place Award, National Medical Graduate Examination, Ministry of Health, China
- 1997 Scientific Research Award, Southern Medical Association, USA
- 1998 Investigative Dermatology Awards, Dermatology Foundation, USA
- 2000 Scholarship Award, American Society of Histocompatibility and Immunogenetics, USA
- 2002 NIH Physician/Scientist Career Development (K08) Award, USA
- 1978 - 1982 M.D. Hunan Medical College (Medicine), Changsha, China
- 1983 - 1986 Resident Hunan Medical College (Pathology), Changsha, China
- 1989 - 1995 Ph.D. University of Alabama at Birmingham (Immunology), Birmingham, AL
- 1995 - 1997 Intern/Resident University of Alabama at Birmingham (Internal Medicine), Birmingham, AL
- 1997 - 1998 Fellow Stanford University Medical Center (Dermatology Research), Stanford, CA
- 1998 - 2001 Resident Emory University School of Medicine (Anatomical Pathology), Atlanta, GA
- 2001 - 2002 Fellow Emory University School of Medicine (Immunology), Atlanta, GA