Edward Ashwood, M.D.
Professor of Pathology
Edward R. Ashwood, M.D
- President and Chief Executive Officer of ARUP Laboratories since July 2009
- Director of Laboratories and Chief Medical Officer, July 2002 to June 2009
About Edward Ashwood, M.D.
Dr. Ashwood is the president and chief executive officer of ARUP Laboratories, Inc., and also professor of pathology (tenured) at the University of Utah School of Medicine.
Following his undergraduate (BSChE) and medical (MD) education at the University of Colorado, he completed a laboratory medicine (clinical pathology) residency at the University of Washington in Seattle. He joined ARUP and the University of Utah in 1985. He is board certified in clinical pathology with special qualification in chemical pathology. His research interests include clinical chemistry, and especially maternal-fetal laboratory medicine.
Dr. Ashwood co-edits Tietz Textbook of Clinical Chemistry and Molecular Diagnostics (5th edition), Tietz Fundamentals of Clinical Chemistry (6th edition), and Fundamentals of Molecular Diagnostics. He has published over 65 peer-reviewed scientific papers, and given over 145 invited lectures worldwide.
- Bornhorst JA, Procter M, Meadows C, Ashwood ER, Mao R. An integrative diagnostic algorithm for the identification of individuals at risk for alpha 1-antitrypsin deficiency. Am J Clin Pathol 2007;128:482-90.
- Cloud JL, Bauman SK, Pelfrey JM, Ashwood ER. Biased report on the IMMY ALPHA Histoplasma antigen enzyme immunoassay for diagnosis of histoplasmosis. Clin Vaccine Immunol. 2007;14(10):1389-90; author reply 1390-1.
- Miller WG, Myers GL, Ashwood ER, Killeen AA, Wang E, Ehlers GW, Hassemer D, Lo SF, Seccombe D, Siekmann L, Thienpont LM, Toth A. State of the art in trueness and interlaboratory harmonization for 10 analytes in general clinical chemistry. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2008;132(5):838-46.
- Erickson JA, Aldeen WE, Grenache DG, Ashwood ER. Evaluation of a fecal pancreatic elastase-1 enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay: assessment versus an established assay and implication in classifying pancreatic function. Clin Chim Acta, 2008;397:87-91.
- Slev PR, Williams BG, Harville TO, Ashwood ER, Bornhorst JA. Efficacy of the detection of the alpha1-antitrypsin “Z” deficiency variant by routine serum protein electrophoresis. Am J Clin Pathol. 2008:Oct;130(4):568-72.
- Cloud JL, Hanson K, Bauman SK, Ashwood ER. Extent of interlaboratory discrepancies for polyclonal histoplasma antigen EIA cannot be determined without a large split-sample study. Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis. 2010;66:233-4 [letter].
- Talbert ML, Ashwood ER, Brownlee NA, Clark JR, Horowitz RE, Lepoff RB, Otis CN, Neumann AR, Powell SZ, Sodeman TM. Resident preparation for practice: a white paper from the College of American Pathologists and Association of Pathology Chairs. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2009 Jul;133(7):1139-47.
- Erickson JA, Lu J, Smith JJ, Bornhorst JA, Grenache DG, Ashwood ER. Immunoassay for quantifying squamous cell carcinoma antigen in serum. Clin Chem 2010;56:9:1496-1499
- All Publications: Click Here
Honors and Awards
- 1975 Perry M. Singleton Award (outstanding Chemical Engineering graduate), University of Colorado
- 1982 Young Investigators Award, ACLPS, Seattle, Washington
- 1992 Outstanding Teaching in Clinical Pathology, Residents Award, University of Utah
- 1996-2008 Outstanding Speaker Award (11 times), American Association for Clinical Chemistry
- 1997 Outstanding Teaching in Clinical Pathology, Residents Award, University of Utah
- 1998 Gerald T. Evans Award, ACLPS, Boston, Massachusetts
- 2002 Outstanding Teaching in Clinical Pathology, Residents Award, University of Utah
- 2010 Outstanding Contributions to Pediatric Clinical Chemistry, AACC, Pediatric & Maternal-Fetal Division