Jonathan Genzen, M.D., Ph.D.
Assistant Professor (Clinical), Department of Pathology, University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, UT
- 2013 - Assistant Professor, Department of Pathology, University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, UT
- 2013 - Medical Director, Automated Core Laboratory, ARUP Laboratories
About Jonathan Genzen, M.D., Ph.D.
Dr. Genzen is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Pathology at the University of Utah. He serves as a Medical Director of the ARUP Automated Core Laboratory. He is board certified in Clinical Pathology by the American Board of Pathology and is a Fellow of the American Society for Clinical Pathology.
Dr. Genzen received both his PhD. and M.D. from the University of Chicago. He completed his clinical pathology residency at Yale-New Haven Hospital / Yale University in the Department of Laboratory Medicine. where he also conducted his postdoctoral research fellowship. He is a member of the American Association for Clinical Chemistry (AACC), the American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP), and the Academy of Clinical Laboratory Physicians and Scientists (ACLPS). His clinical and research focus is on automated chemistry and quality improvement through informatics.
- Genzen JR, Gosselin JT, Wilson TC, Racila E, Krasowski MD. Analysis of vitamin D status at two academic medical centers and a national reference laboratory: result patterns vary by age, gender, season, and patient location. BMC Endocr Disord. 2013 Nov 5;13(1):52.
- Torres R, Genzen JR, Levene MJ. Clinical Measurement of von Willebrand factor by fluorescence correlation spectroscopy. Clin Chem 2012 Jun; 58(6): 1010-8.
- Genzen JR, Kawaguchi KR, Furman RR. Detection of a monoclonal antibody therapy (ofatumumab) by serum protein and immunofixation electrophoresis (IFE). Brit J Haematol 2011 Oct; 155(1), 123-5.
- Genzen JR, Tormey CA. Pathology consultation on...reporting of critical values. Am J Clin Pathol 2011 Apr; 135(4): 505-13.
- Genzen JR, Yang D, Ravid K, Bordey A. Activation of adenosine A2B receptors enhances ciliary beat frequency in mouse lateral ventricle ependymal cells. Cerebrospinal Fluid Res 2009 Nov 18; 6(1): 15
- Genzen JR, Kenney B. Central Nervous System Aspergillus Infection After Epidural Analgesia: Diagnosis, Therapeutic Challenges, and Literature Review. Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 2009 Nov; 65(3):312-18.
- Genzen JR, Platel JC, Rubio M, Bordey A. Ependymal Cells Along the Lateral Ventricle Express Functional P2X7 Receptors. Purinergic Signalling 2009 Sep; 5(3):299-307.
- Genzen JR, Miller JL. Presence of Direct Thrombin Inhibitors Can Affect the Results and Interpretation of Lupus Anticoagulant Testing. Am J Clin Pathol 2005; 124 (4): 586-93.
- Genzen JR, McGehee DS. Short and long-term enhancement of excitatory transmission in the spinal cord dorsal horn by nicotinic acetylcholine receptors. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 2003; 100(11) 6807-6812.
- All Publications: Click Here
Honors and Awards
- 1994 Phi Beta Kappa, Northwestern University
- 2002 Dissertation Award, Committee on Neurobiology Award for Outstanding Performance in the General Field of Neurobiology, University of Chicago.
- 2004 Medical Alumni Prize, Best Overall Presentation of Research at the 58th Annual Senior Scientific Session, University of Chicago, Pritzker School of Medicine.
- 2004 Paul E. Strandjord Young Investigator Award, Academy of Clinical Laboratory Physicians and Scientists.
- 2006 Buchholz Prize for Outstanding Resident Research, Department of Laboratory Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine.
- 2007 Paul E. Strandjord Young Investigator Award, Academy of Clinical Laboratory Physicians and Scientists, [with distinction].
- 2008 Paul E. Strandjord Young Investigator Award, Academy of Clinical Laboratory Physicians and Scientists, [with distinction].
- 2009 Paul E. Strandjord Young Investigator Award, Academy of Clinical Laboratory Physicians and Scientists, [with distinction].
- 2012 Best Lab Practice - Chemistry - Award, 2012 ASCP Annual Meeting Poster Sessions
- 1995 - B.A. Northwestern University (Biological Sciences and International Studies), Evanston, IL
- 2002 - Ph.D. University of Chicago, Committee on Neurobiology, Chicago, IL
- 2004 - M.D. University of Chicago, Pritzker School of Medicine, Chicago, IL
- 2004-2007 - Clinical Pathology Residency, Department of Laboratory Medicine, Yale-New Haven Hospital, New Haven, CT
- 2007-2009 – Postdoctoral Research Fellowship, Department of Laboratory Medicine, Yale University, New Haven, CT