Karl Voelkerding, M.D.
Professor (Clinical) of Pathology
Karl V. Voelkerding, M.D.
- Medical Director for Advanced Technology
- Program Director for Molecular Genetic Pathology Fellowship
About Karl Voelkerding, M.D.
Dr. Voelkerding's research efforts focus on the development and application of molecular biological methods for clinical diagnostic purposes. His research emphasizes innovation and application of nucleic acid based methods to expand and improve clinical molecular diagnostics. Current research activities include the evaluation of technologies for nucleic acid amplification, the detection of sequence variations and mutations, new sequencing platforms and improved approaches for nucleic acid data analysis for molecular diagnostics.
- Dames S, Bromley LK, Herrmann M, Elgort M, Erali M, Smith R, Voelkerding KV, (2006) A single tube nucleic acid extraction, amplification and detection method using aluminum oxide. Journal of Molecular Diagnostics.Vol 8: 16-21.
- Herrmann MG, Durtschi JD, Bromley LK, Wittwer CT, Voelkerding KV, (2006) Amplicon DNA melting analysis for mutation scanning and genotyping: Cross platform comparison of instruments and dyes. Clinical Chemistry.Vol 52: 494-503.
- Herrmann MG, Durtschi JD, Voelkerding KV, Wittwer CT. (2006) Instrument comparison for DNA genotyping by amplicon melting. Journal of Laboratory Automation. Vol 11(4): 273-277.
- Durtschi JD, Stevenson J, Hymas W, Voelkerding KV. (2007) Evaluation of quantification methods for real-time PCR minor-groove binding hybridization probe assays. Anal Biochem. Vol 361 (1): 55-64.
- Herrmann M, Durtschi J, Bromley L, Wittwer C, Voelkerding KV. (2007) Instrument comparison for heterozygote scanning of single and double heterozygotes: a correction and extension of Herrmann et al., Clinical Chemistry Vol 52: 494-503.
- Liew M, Seipp M, Durtschi J, Margraf RL, Dames S, Erali M, Voelkerding KV, Wittwer C. (2007) Closed-tube SNP genotyping without labeled probes:a comparison between unlabeled probe and amplicon melting. Am J Clin Path. Vol 127 (3): 1-8.
- Liew M, Groll MC, Thompson JE, Call SL, Moser JE, Hoopes JD, Voelkerding KV, Wittwer C, Spendlove RS. (2007) Validating a custom multiplex ELISA against individual commercial immunoassays using clinical samples. BioTechniques. (in press).
- Seipp MT, Durtschi JD, Liew MA, Williams J, Damjanovich K, Pont-Kingdon G, Lyon E, Voelkerding KV, and Wittwer CT. (2007) Unlabeled oligonucleotides as internal temperature controls for genotyping by amplicon melting. Journal of Molecular Diagnostics. (in press).
- Dames SA, Margraf RL, Pattison D, Wittwer CT, Voelkerding KV. (2007) Stability of 3’ blocking modifications of unlabeled probes. Journal of Molecular Diagnostics. (in press).
- All Publications: Click Here
- 1978 B.Sc. in Zoology, Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio
- 1983 M.D., University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, Ohio