Wade Samowitz, M.D.
last modified 2013-08-27 11:26 — by Erica Jessop
Scholarly Emphasis: Genetics and molecular testing of colorectal cancer
About Wade Samowitz, M.D.
Dr. Samowitz is a staff pathologist for the Anatomic Pathology Division at ARUP and a professor of pathology at the University of Utah School of Medicine. He received his MD from SUNY Downstate, and completed residency training in anatomic pathology at the University of Chicago and fellowships in gastrointestinal pathology at Johns Hopkins Hospital. Specializing in gastrointestinal pathology and the molecular genetics of colorectal cancer, Dr. Samowitz is the medical director for numerous molecular tests in gastrointestinal cancer and other tumors, including microsatellite instability by IHC and PCR, mutational testing for BRAF, PIK3CA, and NRAS, evaluation for molar pregnancy, and specimen identification.
- Curtin K, Samowitz WS, Ulrich CM, Wolff RD, Herrick JS, Caan BJ, Slatter ML. Nutrients in folate-mediated, one-carbon metabolism and the risk of rectal tumors in men and women. Nutr Cancer. 2011 Apr;63(3):357-66.
- Curtin K, Ulrich CM, Samowitz WS, Wolff RD, Duggan DJ, Makar KW, Cann BJ, Slattery ML. Candidate pathway polymorphisms in one-carbon metabolism and risk of rectal tumor mutations. Int J Mol Epidemiol Genet. 2011 Jan 1;2(1):1-8.
- Gudgeon JM, Williams JL, Burt RW, Samowitz WS, Snow GL, Williams MS. Lynch syndrome screening implementation: business analysis by a healthcare system. Am J Manag Care. 2011 Aug 1;17(8):e288-300.
- Vaughn CP, Hart KJ, Samowitz WS, Swensen JJ. Avoidance of pseudogene interference in the detection of 3' deletions in PMS2. Hum Mutat. 2011 May 26. Epub ahead of print.
- Warren JD, Xiong W, Bunker AM, Vaughn CP, Furtado LV, Roberts WL, Fang JC, Samowitz WS, Heichman KA. Septin 9 methylated DNA is a sensitive and specific blood test for colorectal cancer. BMC Med. 2011 Dec 14;9:133.
- Baker CL, Vaughn CP, Samowitz WS. A PIK3CA pyrosequencing-based assay that excludes pseudogene interference. J Mol Diagn. 2012 Jan;14(1):56-60.
- Tomsic J, Senter L, Liyanarachchi S, Clendenning M, Vaughn CP, Jenkins MA, Hopper JL, Young J, Samowitz W, de la Chapelle A. Recurrent and founder mutations in the PMS2 gene. Clin Genet 2012 May 11 (Epub ahead of print).
- Vaughn CP, Baker CL, Samowitz WS, Swensen JJ. The frequency of previously undetectable deletions involving 3' exons of the PMS2 gene. Genes Chromosomes Cancer. 2013 Jan;52(1):107-12.
- Affolter K, Samowitz W, Tripp S, Bronner MP. BRAF V600E mutation detection by immunohistochemistry in colorectal carcinoma. Genes Chromosomes Cancer. 2013 Aug;52(8):748-752.
- Bartley AN, Hamilton SR, Alsabeh R, Ambinder EP, Berman M, Collins E, Fitzgibbons PL, Gress DM, Nowak JA, Samowitz WS, Zafar SY. Template for reporting results of biomarker testing of specimens from patients with carcinoma of the colon and rectum. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2013 Jun 28 (Epub ahead of print).
- All Publications: Click Here
Honors and Awards
- 2012-2015 - C. Scott and Dorothy E. Watkins Endowed Chair in Pathology.
- BACCALAUREATE DEGREE:
- B.A.: Cornell University, Ithaca, New York -- 1977
- M.D.: SUNY Downstate, Brooklyn, New York -- 1981
- Fellowship in Cardiovascular Pathology - University of Texas Health Science Center at Dallas -- September, 1981 - May, 1982.
- Residency in Anatomic Pathology - University of Chicago Hospitals and Clinics -- June, 1982 - June, 1985
- Fellowship in Gastrointestinal Pathology - The Johns Hopkins Hospital -- July 1985 - July 1987