David Bahler, M.D., Ph.D.
Medical Director, Hematologic Flow Cytometry Laboratory
Associate Professor of Pathology, University of Utah
David W. Bahler, M.D., Ph.D.
- Medical Director of ARUP Hematologic Flow Cytometry Laboratory
- Acting Medical Director ARUP Molecular Hematopathology Laboratory
About David Bahler, M.D., Ph.D.
Dr Bahler’s research interests include clinical applications of flow cytometry to diagnostic hematopathology, the role of chronic antigen stimulation and autoimmune disease in the development of lymphoid neoplasms, and the development and use of molecular hematopathology tests. Please see CV and selected publications for more details.
- 1. Newel JO, Cessna MH, Greenwood J, Hartung L, Bahler DW. Importance of CD117 in the evaluation of acute leukemias by flow cytometry. Cytometry. 52B:40-43, 2003
- 2. Jasinowski TM, Hartung L, Greenwood JH, Perkins SL, Bahler DW. Analysis of CD10 + hairy cell leukemia. Am. J. Clin. Pathol. 120:228-235, 2003
- 3. Nodit L, Bahler DW, Jacobs SA, Swerdlow SH. Indolent mantle cell lymphoma with nodal involvement and mutated immunoglobulin heavy chain genes. Human Pathol. 34: 1030-1034, 2003
- 4. Hartung L, Bahler DW. Flow cytometric analysis of bcl-2 can distinguish small numbers of acute lymphoblastic leukemia cells from B-cell precursors. Br. J. Haematol. 127:50-58, 2004
- 5. Cessna MH, Hartung L, Tripp S, Perkins SL, Bahler DW. Hairy cell leukemia variant: Fact or fiction. Am. J. Clin. Pathol. 123:132-138, 2005
- 6. Yang D, Greenwood JH, Hartung L, Hill S, Perkins SL, Bahler DW. Flow cytometric analysis of different CD14 epitopes can help identify immature monocytic populations. Am. J. Clin. Pathol. 124:930-936, 2005
- 7. Lundell R, Hartung L, Hill S, Perkins SL, Bahler DW. T-cell large granular lymphocyte leukemias have multiple phenotypic abnormalities involving pan-T-cell antigens and receptors for MHC molecules. Am. J. Clin. Pathol. 124:937-946, 2005
- 8. Bahler DW, Kim BK, Gao A, Swerdlow SH. Analysis of immunoglobulin VH genes suggests cutaneous marginal zone B-cell lymphomas recognize similar antigens. Br. J. Haematol. 132:571-575, 2006
- 9. Smock KJ, Perkins SL, Bahler DW. Quantitation of plasma cells in bone marrow aspirates by flow cytometric analysis compared to morphologic assessment. Arch Path Lab Med. 131:951-955, 2007
- All Publications: Click Here
Honors and Awards
- 2007 Outstanding Teaching Award, Clinical Pathology, University of Utah
- 1977 BS University of Utah (Mathematics) Salt Lake City, UT
- 1979 MS Cornell University College of Arts and Sciences(Physics)Ithaca, NY
- 1987 MD University of Rochester(Medicine)Rochester, NY
- 1987 PhD University of Rochester(Immunology)Rochester, NY
- 1987-1989 Resident, Dept. of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
- 1989-1992 Postdoctoral Fellow, Division of Oncology, Stanford University, Stanford, CA
- 1992-1993 Hematopathology Fellow, Department of Laboratory Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, CA