Elizabeth Frank, Ph.D.
Associate Professor (Clinical), Department of Pathology, University of Utah
- Medical Director, Analytic Biochemistry, ARUP Laboratories
- Medical Director, Calculi Section, ARUP Laboratories
- Co-Medical Director, Mass Spectrometry Laboratory, ARUP Laboratories
- Co-Director, Clinical Chemistry Fellowship Program, University of Utah School of Medicine
About Elizabeth Frank, Ph.D.
Dr. Frank is an Associate Professor in the Department of Pathology at the University of Utah Health Sciences Center. She is the Medical Director of the Analytic Biochemistry Laboratory and the Calculi Section at ARUP Laboratories, Inc., and a Co-Medical Director of the Mass Spectrometry Laboratory. In addition, Dr. Frank is the Co-Director of the Postdoctoral Training Program in Clinical Chemistry. She is board-certified in clinical chemistry by the American Board of Clinical Chemistry.
Dr. Frank's research is focused on the development of methods for the measurement of biogenic amines, porphyrins, and vitamins using high performance liquid chromatography and mass spectrometry.
- Petteys BJ, Frank EL. (2011 Jan 14). Rapid determination of vitamin B (riboflavin) in plasma by HPLC. Clin Chim Acta, 412(1-2), 38-43.
- Erdogan E, Nelson GJ, Rockwood AL, Frank EL. (2010). Evaluation of reference intervals for methylmalonic acid in plasma/serum and urine [Letter to the editor]. Clin Chim Acta. 411, 21-22.
- Li M, Petteys BJ, McClure JM, Valsakumar V, Bekiranov S, Frank EL, Smith JS. (2010). Thiamine biosynthesis in Saccharomyces cerevisiae is regulated by the NAD+-dependent histone deacetylase Hst1. Mol Cell Biol, 30(13), 3329-41.
- Parnas ML, Frank EL. (April 2010). Porphyrias: A Guide to Laboratory Assessment. [Review]. Clinical Laboratory News, 36(4), 8-10.
- Frank EL. (April 8, 2010). Porphyrins and Porphyrias [Web]. Washington, DC: American Association for Clinical Chemistry. Available: http://www.aacc.org/events/expert_access/2010/april/pages/default.aspx.
- Johnson-Davis KL, Moore SJ, Owen WE, Cutler JM, Frank EL. (2009). A rapid HPLC method used to establish pediatric reference intervals for vitamins A and E. Clin Chim Acta, 405(1-2), 35-8.
- Huddleston BJ, Frank EL. (2008). The Biochemical Diagnosis of Pheochromocytoma. In Clinical Chemistry Check Sample, CC 08-4(48, pp.49-63). Chicago, IL: ASCP.
- Lu J, Frank EL. (2008). Rapid HPLC measurement of thiamine and its phosphate esters in whole blood. Clin Chem, 54(5), 901-6.
- Lu J, Frank EL. (2007). Measurement of coenzyme Q10 in clinical practice [Letter to the editor]. Clin Chim Acta, 384(1-2), 180-1.
- Heider EC, Davis BG, Frank EL. (2004). Nonparametric determination of reference intervals for plasma metanephrine and normetanephrine. Clin Chem, 50(12), 2381-4.
- Kushnir MM, Urry FM, Frank EL, Roberts WL, Shushan B. (2002). Analysis of catecholamines in urine by positive-ion electrospray tandem mass spectrometry. Clin Chem, 48(2), 323-31.
- Crockett DK, Frank EL, Roberts WL. (2002). Rapid analysis of metanephrine and normetanephrine in urine by gas chromatography-mass spectrometry. Clin Chem, 48(2), 332-7.
- Frank EL, Hughes MP, Bankson DD, Roberts WL. (2001). Effects of anticoagulants and contemporary blood collection containers on aluminum, copper, and zinc results. Clin Chem, 47(6), 1109-12.
- All Publications: Click Here
Honors and Awards
- 2007 Mentor of the Month, Society of Young Clinical Laboratorians, American Association for Clinical Chemistry
- 2001 Paul E. Strandjord Young Investigator Award, Academy of Clinical Laboratory Physicians and Scientists
- 1999 Paul E. Strandjord Young Investigator Award, Academy of Clinical Laboratory Physicians and Scientists
- 1999 Student Travel Stipend, American Association for Clinical Chemistry
- 1997-98 Student Representative Assembly Excellence in Teaching Award, St. Cloud State University
- 1987 John S. Meek Organic Teaching Award, University of Colorado at Boulder
- 1993 Ph.D., Organic Chemistry, University of Colorado at Boulder, Boulder, CO
- 1978 B.A., Biology, The Colorado College, Colorado Springs, CO
- 1998-2001 Fellow, University of Utah School of Medicine, Department of Pathology, Salt Lake City, Utah