A. Wayne Meikle, M.D.
A. Wayne Meikle, M.D.
- Professor of Medicine, University of Utah College of Medicine, Salt Lake City, UT
- Adjunct Professor of Pathology, University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, UT
About A. Wayne Meikle, M.D.
Dr. Meikle’s major research interests are focused on male reproductive endocrinology, prostatic and thyroid neoplasia and laboratory techniques for hormonal assays. The objective of the studies in male twins has been to determine the influence of hereditary and environmental factors in the pathogenesis of lower urinary tract symptoms and benign prostatic hyperplasia. Studies are planned to do linkage analysis of susceptibility genes to the development of benign prostatic hyperplasia. The goal of studies in thyroid neoplasia is to assess the influence of radioactive exposure on the development of autoimmune thyroiditis and thyroid neoplasia. In human prostate cancer cell lines, studies have focused on hormonal and non-hormonal mechanisms that regulate growth and apoptosis of this common neoplasm in aging men. A wide range of endocrine assays has been developed at ARUP.
The experimental techniques used in the laboratory include radioimmunoassay of steroid hormones, growth factors, markers of apoptosis and LC/MS/MS methodology for hormonal assays. Molecular biology techniques include PCR, mRNA analysis and gene sequencing.
- 118. Gunawardena K, Campbell LD, Meikle AW. (2005). Antiandrogen-like actions of an antioxidant on survivin, Bcl-2 and PSA in human prostate cancer cells. Cancer Detect Prev, 29(4), 389-95.
- 119. Choi HH, Gray PB, Storer TW, Calof OM, Woodhouse L, Singh AB, Padero C, Mac RP, Sinha-Hikim I, Shen R, Dzekov J, Dzekov C, Kushnir MM, Rockwood AL, Meikle AW, Lee ML, Hays RD, Bhasin S. (2005). Effects of testosterone replacement in human immunodeficiency virus-infected women with weight loss. J Clin Endocrinol Metab, 90(3), 1531-41.
- 120. Kushnir MM, Rockwood AL, Roberts WL, Pattison EG, Bunker AM, Fitzgerald RL, Meikle AW. (2006). Performance characteristics of a novel tandem mass spectrometry assay for serum testosterone. Clin Chem, 52(1), 120-8.
- 121. Pysher TJ, Bach PR, Geaghan SM, Hamilton MS, Laposata M, Lockitch G, Brugnara C, Coffin CM, Pasquali M, Rinaldo P, Roberts WL, Rutledge JC, Ashwood ER, Blaylock RC, Campos JM, Goldsmith B, Jones PM, Lim M, Meikle AW, Perkins SL, Perry DA, Petti CA, Rogers BB, Steele PE, Weiss RL, Woods G. (2006). Teaching pediatric laboratory medicine to pathology residents. Arch Pathol Lab Med, 130(7), 1031-8.
- 122. Kushnir MM, Rockwood AL, Roberts WL, Pattison EG, Owen WE, Bunker AM, Meikle AW. (2006). Development and performance evaluation of a tandem mass spectrometry assay for 4 adrenal steroids. Clin Chem, 52(8), 1559-67.
- 123. Lyon JL, Alder SC, Stone MB, Scholl A, Reading JC, Holubkov R, Sheng X, White GL Jr, Hegmann KT, Anspaugh L, Hoffman FO, Simon SL, Thomas B, Carroll R, Meikle AW. (2006). Thyroid disease associated with exposure to the Nevada nuclear weapons test site radiation: a reevaluation based on corrected dosimetry and examination data. Epidemiology, 17(6), 604-14.
- All Publications: Click Here
Honors and Awards
- 1962 Phi Kappa Phi, Phi Beta Kappa, Utah State University, Logan, UT
- 1965 Alpha Omega Alpha, Vanderbilt School of Medicine, Nashville, TN
- 1965 MD Vanderbilt University (Medicine), Nashville, TN
- 1955-1962 BS Utah State University, Logan, UT