A. Wayne Meikle, M.D.
A. Wayne Meikle, M.D.
- Professor of Medicine, University of Utah College of Medicine, Salt Lake City, UT
- Adjunct Professor of Pathology, University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, UT
About A. Wayne Meikle, M.D.
Dr. Meikle’s major research interests are focused on male reproductive endocrinology, prostatic and thyroid neoplasia and laboratory techniques for hormonal assays. The objective of the studies in male twins has been to determine the influence of hereditary and environmental factors in the pathogenesis of lower urinary tract symptoms and benign prostatic hyperplasia. The goal of studies in thyroid neoplasia is to assess the influence of radioactive exposure on the development of autoimmune thyroiditis and thyroid neoplasia. In human prostate cancer cell lines, studies have focused on hormonal and non-hormonal mechanisms that regulate growth and apoptosis of this common neoplasm in aging men. A wide range of endocrine assays has been developed at ARUP. Studies on the effect of obesity on fertility and hormonal abnormalities are currently active.
The experimental techniques used in the laboratory include radioimmunoassay of steroid hormones, growth factors, markers of apoptosis and LC/MS/MS methodology for hormonal assays. Molecular biology techniques include PCR, mRNA analysis and gene sequencing. Thyroglobulin measured by MS/MS avoids antithyroglobulin antibody interferences.
- Jasuja GK, Bhasin S, Murabiot J, Zhang A, Basaria S, Kushnir MM, Rockwood AL, Meikle AW, Pencina MJ, Coviello A, Vasan RS, D'Agostino R, Travison TG (2011). Age-Trends in Estradiol and Estrone Levels Measured Using LC-MS/MS in Community Dwelling Men of Framingham Heart Study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab.
- Hammoud AO, Carrell DT, Gibson M, Matthew Peterson C, Meikle AW (2011). Updates on the relation of weight excess and reproductive function in men: sleep apnea as a new area of interest. Asian J Androl.
- Rogers MA, Liu J, Kushnir MM, Bryleva E, Rockwood AL, Meikle AW, Shapiro D, Vaisman BL, Remaley AT, Chang CC, Chang TY (2012). Cellular Pregnenolone Esterification by Acyl-CoA:Cholesterol Acyltransferase. J Biol Chem, 287(21), 17483-92.
- Ray JA, Kushnir MM, Bunker A, Rockwood AL, Meikle AW (2012). Direct measurement of free estradiol in human serum by equilibrium dialysis-liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry and reference intervals of free estradiol in women. Clin Chim Acta, 413(11-12), 1008-14.
- Pierce M, Sandrock R, Gillespie G, Meikle AW (2012). Measurement of thyroid stimulating immunoglobulins using a novel thyroid stimulating hormone receptor-guanine nucleotide-binding protein, (GNAS) fusion bioassay. Clin Exp Immunol, 170(2), 115-21.
- Hammoud AO, Meikle AW, Reis LO, Gibson M, Peterson CM, Carrell DT (2012). Obesity and male infertility: a practical approach. Semin Reprod Med, 30(6), 486-95.
- Kushnir MM, Rockwood AL, Roberts WL, Abraham D, Hoofnagle AN, Meikle AW (2013). Measurement of thyroglobulin by liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry in serum and plasma in the presence of antithyroglobulin autoantibodies. Clin Chem, 59(6), 982-90.
- Meikle AW (2010). Contemporary Endocrinology: Endocrine Replacement Therapy in Clinical Practice. Totowa, NJ: Humana Press.
- Meikle AW (2013). Reproductive Endocrinology. In Yearbook of Endocrinology (pp. 225-261). St. Louis: Mosby.
- All Publications: Click Here
Honors and Awards
- 1962 Phi Kappa Phi, Phi Beta Kappa, Utah State University, Logan, UT
- 1965 Alpha Omega Alpha, Vanderbilt School of Medicine, Nashville, TN
- 1965 MD Vanderbilt University (Medicine), Nashville, TN
- 1955-1962 BS Utah State University, Logan, UT